Senior Programme Manager
GovNet is recruiting for an experienced exhibition and/or large-scale conference professional to lead the management and production of all programme and content elements for a high profile, commercially successful, content-led healthcare expo.
You will be working in a positive, inviting environment within a fast-paced and growing business. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced event content/programme professional who wishes to drive the growth of a thriving and expanding sector.
GovNet is the UK’s leading events’ company for the Public Sector, running over 650 events per year ranging from exhibitions and summits to conferences, briefings and training courses as well as running two magazines. The business has around 160 staff based across offices in London, Manchester, Blackburn and Birmingham.
Since 1997, GovNet has consistently delivered innovative, thought-provoking and insightful events, all of which, to date, are specifically for the Public Sector. For almost two decades, we have provided unrivalled access to high quality and up-to-date information and have created a platform where leading industry experts, high-profile speakers and public sector employees can network, form partnerships and work towards a common goal.
Our company is a highly successful and profitable organisation and has been consistently in growth mode for some years. However, in order to take us to the next level, we are entering a positive period of transition and change in terms of culture, structure, process and product. As well as dominating the Public Sector, GovNet also has aspirations and plans to move into the more mainstream commercial sector. We view GovNet as a ‘sleeping giant’ positioned at exactly the right time and place to drive significant growth and opportunity both within and outside of the Public Sector.
GovNet is structured like a ‘traditional’ media company and incorporates multiple divisions which facilitate every aspect of the public sector, from local government and housing to the NHS and higher education sector. No other company in the UK can boast such a wide range of dedicated and specifically tailored public sector events and for this reason, coupled with their industry contacts and knowledge, GovNet events always attract the most senior audiences and buyers and are recognised nationally as market leaders.
The Healthcare Portfolio
GovNet Exhibitions, a division of GovNet Communications, organises seven public sector exhibitions per year, with the largest attracting over 3,500 attendees, who primarily come to the event for the high quality conference programmes.
The UK Health Show is an annual event running in September at Olympia London. The show is the largest free-to-attend one-day event bringing together the whole healthcare system and attracting in the region of 3,500 – 4,000 visitors.
Healthcare providers, commissioners and professionals attend to address key issues and build new partnerships that will ensure of the best possible patient outcomes through the most innovative, efficient and effective service delivery. In 2017, the UK Health Show will feature four co-located events:
- Healthcare Efficiency through Technology (HETT)
- Commissioning in Healthcare
- Procurement in Healthcare
- Cyber Security in Healthcare
The role takes full responsibility for the content production of the UK Health Show and research and validation of new commercially driven content areas. The focus is on developing and delivering innovative content that will attract visitors and align to commercial objectives of exhibitors and sponsors.
This is a people-focused position where you will be measured on the quality of your content, ability see the commercial opportunity and tenacity to secure sector-leading speakers.
The show has big ambitions and that this role would be key in driving and delivering them.
Traditionally, GovNet’s exhibitions have behaved more like ‘large scale conferences with exhibition stands alongside’. The next stage strategy for our events is to move towards an exhibition-based mindset and implementation so that we deliver ‘content rich exhibitions’. The Senior Programme Manager would work closely with the Portfolio Head to implement this strategic change.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Content and event strategy
- Responsible for the full management and production of all expo content elements including conference programmes, seminar tracks, sponsor sessions and any other content-led show features
- Conduct extensive and in-depth industry research via telephone, online and in-person to understand market wants and needs and build event audience profiles
- Based on research, produce market-led, benefit-driven content programmes for commercially successful expos
- Working with Portfolio Head, undertake ad-hoc strategy related analysis, research and commercial feasibility assessment projects to develop event portfolio
- Produce and deliver event briefings to show teams and work closely with sales and marketing teams to be actively engaged in the commercial success of the event
- Management of competitor event tracking processes and analysis to create own event USPs
Speaker management and onsite delivery
- Identify, secure and manage the participation of high-level, industry leading speakers through research, influencing and negotiating skills
- Maintain consistent and regular speaker correspondence from confirmation through to the event to ensure their optimum engagement with the event
- Ensure timely collection and collation of speaker photos, bios and organisation logos
- Brief all moderators, chairs, speakers and panellists prior to each event to ensure sessions run to plan and deliver optimum learning outcomes for delegates
- Management of onsite speaker and content theatre management teams
- Develop and build close and effective relationships with internal marketing, sales and operations teams
- Develop and build close and effective relationships with external advisory boards, supporters, sponsors and speakers from both public and private sectors
- Participate in client facing meetings as required by Portfolio Head and Sales Director
- Collaboratively work with session sponsors to create a session that meets client objectives as well as delegate educational needs
Content marketing and copy writing
- Collaborate with marketing team in the creation of a content marketing strategy
- Create compelling, sales-driven copy for a range of platforms (web, brochure, email, social media etc) to drive visitor, exhibition and sponsorship sales
- Advise on segmentation and different drivers for attendance across target audiences
- Support marketing team on content marketing initiatives which involve speakers such as blogs, Q&A’s and insight pieces
- Management of project deadlines
- Mentor and support junior programme managers
- Budget management for speaker fees and expenses
Is this You?
Whilst GovNet has been operational for 17 years, it still feels and behaves as an entrepreneurial, embryonic business because of the huge, but achievable ambition it has. So the ideal candidate will have entrepreneurial tendencies and the desire to be a part of a rapidly growing operation.
The new Chief Executive, Ruth Carter, likes to run a company where, despite the variety of backgrounds, experience levels, seniorities and personalities, everyone in the business has one thing in common: they are deeply passionate about what they do!
We’re looking for an individual that has excellent knowledge and experience of producing and developing innovative content for exhibitions and/or large-scale conferences. The right person will have great communication skills, amazing attention to detail and an eye for the innovative. They will be tenacious about making things happen, adept at working under pressure and to tight deadlines and a perfectionist when it comes to their programmes.
They will understand the balance of making the content excellent, the attendees happy and the exhibitors delighted.
Experience & Skills required for the role
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience)
- At least an 18 month proven track record of producing content for high quality, commercially successful expos and/or large-scale conferences
- Strong commercial understanding and ability to understand the commercial implications of public policy
- Strong research skills and ability to quickly digest new information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to write convincing commercially focused copy for a range of mediums
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programmes
- Experience of using content management systems (websites)
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise work to meet deadlines and targets
- Experience of working effectively within a matrix team structure
- Self-motivated, professional and focused in all aspects of work
- The ability to thrive in a challenging, fast paced and high pressure environment
- Interest in and understanding of public policy
- Experience of managing budgets
- Understanding of project management principles, techniques and tools
- Interest in and understanding of the NHS and related Government departments, think tanks and third sector organizations.
Working with us
GovNet offers a stimulating and challenging place to work, in a fast growing company dedicated to providing the highest quality services and events. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and we offer a competitive salary, holidays, childcare vouchers and a pension scheme.
The closing date for applications is: 31st May 2017